An Update On One Of My Crochet Hook Knotting Tools, A New Turk’s Head Handle


A Turk's Head covered crochet hook makes and excellent knotting tool.

A Turk's Head covered crochet hook makes and excellent knotting tool.

This is one of my knotting tools that has already been seen. After 10 years of use it was showing its age. I said then that it was time to replace the old handle — I finally found the time to do it.

I use the crochet hook because it is purpose designed and refined by time. It is used to push through a tight loop of cord, entrap and pull back another strand. They make them by the tun for crocheters. This makes them much less expensive than tools designed for knotters. Tools for use in knot tying — they only make a handful, or one. The problem with crochet hooks is that they aren’t perfect for knots. You need to push and pull harder than any crocheter would. In my case, I also have hands that take a Sasquatch XXXL glove size — it’s hard to hold that thin metal rod. The colors were not really selected, they were whatever happened to be in the cut-offs bag.

The procedure on this one was:

First I covered about half of the handle with a 13 Lead X 2 Bight Turk’s Head, doubled in black paracord.

I then put on the first mouse, capping the end of the tool with a 5 Lead X 4 Bight Turk’s Head, doubled. You can’t see it, but it is in pink paracord — hey, I told you I was using up the cut offs.

This was followed by another mouse made from a Turk’s Head knot of 9 Leads X 4 Bights, doubled in paracord.

The last mouse was made from a thicker utility cord that had a softer hand. This smooths out the profile of the handle so the outer knot is properly formed and even. This was another Turk’s Head, with 7 Leads X 6 Bights, doubled.

The top layer was formed from a bi-color Herringbone knot, in black and red paracord. The base knot was of 9 Leads X 8 Bights, done in black. The red interweave is actually also a Turk’s Head. If you were to cut the black knot away, you would be left with a 7 Lead X 8 Bight knot.

On using the tool I discovered that the knots didn’t extend far enough down the shaft. To make up the difference I grabbed the first piece of cord that looked long enough — a very bright yellow in the real world. The photograph just can’t capture how bright it truly is. I tied this into a Spanish Ring knot. When worked down tight it came close to being the perfect handle.

I realize this knot is a little loud. It is a tool, so function always trumps looks. The use of whatever cord was the right length, regardless of color, was an economy, no more, no less.

This tool fits my hand and serves its purpose well. The shape of the handle was chosen because I made another tool of similar structure, and it fit me well. When it was time to do this one, I saw no reason to stray too far from the proven shape.

Thank you for dropping by my site. Come back again. I try to keep something new as a reward for return visitors. See you then:
William

Advertisements
Published in: on October 18, 2009 at 11:42 PM  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://itsknotart.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/an-update-on-one-of-my-crochet-hook-knotting-tools-a-new-turks-head-handle/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: